Setting up a skincare routine is a must to keep your skin balanced. Everyone has a different skin type, so a skincare ritual is set according to the skin types.
How to set a skincare routine?
A skincare routine should be followed twice a day i.e. morning and night time. But the basic steps in a skincare routine are:
- Healing / treatment
- Spf (for daytime)
Cleansing is an initial step to any skincare routine. So if you are wearing make up, a double cleanse method is the best. Double cleanse is virtually removing most of the makeup in first step and then washing it off with a cleanser.
For double cleansing you can use a miceller water like from garnier or you can use oil or balms to take off your makeup. Double cleansing is good for all skin types. But the first step is followed by a good cleanser. Now one should prefer cleanser according to their skin type i.e. neuage face wash is good for acne and oily skin people, Freeman cleanser and neutrogena hydro boost is good for dry skin people while if you have normal skin you can use neutrogena grape fruit face wash and clean and clear is a good one.
Toning is basically equalizing the pH of your skin that might have been disturbed because of the cleanser you’re using. It is definitely it a must step. But it is good to do so. It sets up the skin for the next step.
Another similar step is to use an essence which practically penetrate deeper in the skin and actually preps the skin for next step. It is also helps the subsequent products to absorb better in the skin.
(Note: using both toner and essence is an extra step. It is good to do but you can skip this step)
My favourite toner is the one by oriflame love nature toner and the ordinary glycolic acid toning solution for oily and acne prone skin.
Treatment is subjective of course, it totally relies on the person skin type, body and age. For example if you have acne prone skin you might need to apply anti acne treatment, for ageing skin you might be using an anti-aging treatment. So essentially treatment is fixing the skin from related issues. A treatment is a must-have in a skincare routine.
So I have dry skin to as a treatment I use Hyaluronic Acid serum since it is a hydrating serum. This is how a treatment works.
Coming to the most essential part of the skincare routine is moisturiser. It is a must step you just simply cannot skip it. Even if you have oily skin, acne prone skin you just simply cannot skip a good moisturiser. My all time favourite moisturiser is by neuage moisturising lotion . But you can use any good moisturiser according to your skin type.
(Tip: use moisturiser on damp skin not wet to lock in all the moisture into the skin. Here toners and essence come handy you can apply toner and when it is slightly damp you can apply moisturiser on top)
Sun protection is often ignored but it is one of the most important step. It can make your skin look better for long term. Sun protection helps in reduce a risk of hyperpigmentation, freckles, dark spots and sun burns. So applying a sunscreen is a good thing. Solaris sun screen is good one and also fragrance free.
(Note: you can skip sunscreen at night but even the weather is cloudy, one should wear a sunblock)
Now we have talked about the basics, here are some more tips considering the skincare topic:
- Never ever sleep with makeup. You are just damaging your skin while sleeping with makeup on.
- If you have acne best thing you can do is to talk with a dermatologist and get your acne tested to cellular level, so you know your acne type and get treated accordingly.
- Do not use lemon juice on your face. Or just avoid using DIY skincare if you have problematic skintype it will only get worse.
- Use lukewarm water for the skin. Extremely cold and hot water temperatures may irritate your skin.
- Use exfoliators once or twice a week followed by a mask. Chemical exfoliating is much preferable than physical exfoliation. Use lactic acid, glycolic acid or mendalic acids for chemical exfoliation.
- Fragrance might irritate your skin if you have sensitive skin so use a fragrance free product if you have sensitive skin-type.
- Remember having too many steps In a skincare routine doesn’t mean it is going to be good. Use less but authentic products according to your needs. And you’re good to go.
Have any queries feel free to ask in the comments below.